The death toll in the car attack on the Christmas market in the eastern German city of Magdeburg has risen to 6. It was announced that a woman injured in the attack died in hospital.
According to the statement made by prosecutors, the number of people who died in a car attack on a Christmas market in the eastern German city of Magdeburg has risen to 6. Prosecutors in the nearby city of Naumburg said a 52-year-old woman died in hospital from injuries sustained in the attack.A vehicle plowed into a traditional market on December 20, crushing people among the festival stalls.
A total of 299 people were injured in the attack, according to the latest figures from the state interior ministry.
Taleb al-Abdulmohsen, 50, a Saudi psychiatrist, was arrested at the scene, but the motive for the attack remains unclear.
Abdulmohsen has expressed anti-Islam views, anger at German authorities and support for far-right conspiracy theories about the “Islamization” of Europe in numerous online posts.Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said there were signs that the suspect was suffering from a psychiatric illness.
The attack came two months before Germany’s general elections.
A heated debate over security and immigration has reignited after a spate of deadly knife attacks last year blamed on extremist groups.